Sporting a Smile

Sports day at home was a day during primary school which I dreaded. I cant run fast, I have no hand eye coordination when it comes to the egg and spoon race, and I cant kick a ball into a goal if I was standing 5 feet from it .... ok that last bit is a bit of an exaggeration .... maybe 10 feet.

But here, even if you cannot play a single sport, its the greatest fun. There are over 2500 children in this school, and they are all spread between five 'houses', and there are children from M1 to M6 in each house. Every house has teams for each sport and each child represents their house in races etc. The atmosphere and support for your house is what makes this week so fantastic. The children all get involved in going to the matches in their colours with their pom poms and their cheer leaders and shouting for their fellow housemates. As a teacher who comes from an education system in Ireland based on discipline and exams, to see the children so enthusiastic and happy about their school and their teachers is amazing.

All the teachers get involved too, with each teacher being allocated a house and they wear the colour of that house for the few days.I am orange this week (not the most flattering shade I might just add), but my kids are  so funny. I got the greatest kick out of them this week. They are so free with their expressions here, which means LOTS of screaming, jumping around, and shaking everything they have the minute the drums start (the marching band drummers seem to carry those things everywhere with them!).Their stamina also shocks me, with their energy never dimming even a slight bit despite the heat. I stood out in the heat for about 10 minutes today and I felt baked and drained. They even had a parade through the town at half 8 this morning, and all the children attended, ready and enthusiastic, and walked the length of the town (about 25 minute walk) back to the school holding banners, flags, and some dressed in very uncomfortable looking traditional Thai dresses. I was very cheeky and hitched a ride on the back of a motorcycle with a young Chinese teacher who communicates to me through a series of grunts and pointing. I still got my lift back though. I figure that in itself was a successful start to the morning. The kids went on to race each other and play football and dance the whole day, even when many of their fellow students were fainting around them with the heat (the guys with the stretcher got their exercise today anyway). Most Irish kids would have mitched off and gone home or off to the local shopping centre.

But no, here these kids love this week, and I have to say so far I have loved it too. I have gotten to chat with the kids and get to know them more, and I even got my M5s (17 years old) to style me a lovely french plait and teach me some Thai words. I have one day left tomorrow which sees me put on the denims and shirt for a cowboy themed party. No doubt there will be more to blog about. The endless stream of Thai experiences continues.

Sawatdiikha.

0 comments: