The Elephant Experience

There generally isnt much to do around this part of the world. Surin Thailand is a pretty rural farming based area, and is pretty far of the tourist track. But once a year the city of Surin hosts an elephant festival in the hope of bringing in some extra business. So, off we all went to Surin this weekend with the hope of experiencing some Thai festivities.

I hate to complain, because up to this point I have been so thrilled with my Thai experience, but this was a complete disappointment. The town was exactly the same as usual bar a few more western faces who arrived, like us, in search of some excitement. What they found was one show once a day (300 -1000 baht a ticket) which consisted of elephants performing tricks such as playing football and tricks with hoops, and also a number of elephants on the street giving elephant rides. Personally, I love elephants and think they are such beautiful and intelligent creatures, but after this weekend I am sure of one thing. They are not meant to be performers. I didn't go to the show as I felt that I didn't want to give my money to support the mistreatment of these animals in the name of 'entertainment'. They are trained by Thai people who retain control of the elephant by keeping a sharp sickle to the temples of the elephants, and they are not afraid to use it as I unfortunately witnessed on the streets. Some of them were chained around their neck and feet. As you walk down the street you are approached by every elephant owner and offered to pay 20 baht (50cent) to feed the elephant who trudged behind him. Personally, it wasnt my cup of tea.

Although, waiting for friends outside the train station yesterday evening, I found a bit of enjoyment in the whole situation. Being a place popular with tourists, outside the train station was a base for the elephant rides. I was sitting on the steps texting, and looked up to get the fright of my life. I found myself greeted by an enormous elephant trunk in my face. An elephant whose owner had wandered to the side to have a cigarette had found her way over to me, and decided to make friends. She had a good sniff and gave me a few taps, and I got up to give her a rub. It was quite an experience, as one does not really comprehend the size of the these animals until they 'tap' you with their trunks and nearly send you flying. After a few minutes the owner then came over to us, explained to me that she is 3 years old, and is just pregnant. He encouraged me to give her a rub, offered to take a picture of me with her with my camera, and surprisingly didn't badger me for any money or try to offer me to feed her, unlike many others in the area. He seemed to really love this elephant, and she seemed to be treated relatively well in comparison to others around.

To get up close and personal with these animals is quite incredible, and is something that I will remember for the rest of my life, although that memory is tainted by the knowledge of the conditions of these animals and their treatment. In short, I wouldn't give my recommendation to this 'festival'. I would recommend instead to see these animals in a proper and well run sanctuary, of which there are a number in Thailand. Elephants are incredible creatures, but, in my opinion, they are better somewhere they belong rather than doing tricks in an arena and giving rides down streets.

Sawatdiikha.


0 comments: