A Bit of Mai Pen Rai

The Thai people live their daily lives by one simple way of thinking; 'Mai Pen Rai'. This loosely translates (Irish style) to 'ah sure 'tis fine'. This means that stress in everyday life doesn't exist at all. People do not run around, they do not worry, and they definitely do not do organisation. This may, or most definitely, result in stress and panic on the part of the 'Farang' (ie. me, the local western white person). 


On Saturday of last weekend, I spent the day having a lovely girly day in Surin with a few girls who are also teaching with TTT in other schools in the province. After getting my nails done, having a gossip, and enjoying a very difficult to find cheese burger with coleslaw and chips, I headed home, only to discover when I arrived home that the internet was down. With my housemates off galavanting, I was looking at a very boring and lonely Saturday night in, with only my ghekko to keep me company. About half an hour into re-reading 'Wuthering Heights', I received a phone call from my friend Dangmo who is a young Thai English teacher in my school.

Dangmo; Amy, Where are you?
Me; At home bored, why?
Dangmo; There is a wedding reception in the school hall. I am here. One of the English teachers got married today. She has asked me to tell you to come now to the party. She forgot to ask you.
Me; Dangmo, I have no dress! I have no present!  
Dangmo (evidently having problems understanding me); Great great, see you in a few minutes. *hangs up phone*

Fuuuucccckkkkk. 

Here I was, sitting in my pjs, eating jelly tots (thanks mother), and I was expected at a wedding in 5 minutes. I have never moved so fast. I rooted out a dress that was too tight around the arms, and after 2 minutes getting a knife at the stitches (I need to stop eating so much rice), and 5 minutes slapping on the little bit of make up I brought to Thailand with me, I was clip clopping down the road in the only heels I own here (the versatility of black heels never fails) in the pitch black Thai night to join the party .... an hour and a half later than everyone else. In Ireland, to be an hour and a half late for a wedding is disgraceful, but here, no. I got stared at when I walked in the door, but I was told later this is because I was the only white person in the room. I am a novelty it seems.The lack of gift didn't seem to matter at all, and I was fed and included with such warmth and relaxation, I simply couldn't feel out of place. I was even dragged by a number of teachers (who I hardly know) to be included in their pictures and join them in the fight for the brides bouquet (the wedding was a western style one, not a traditional Thai one, dont ask me why).

The idea of 'all is fine, why worry', hakuna matata only with Thai noodles, is an attitude which makes so much sense. Why panic about the little things, just calmly go along with them. So, the next time someone calls you and plonks you in a shocker of a situation, just calmly get the kitchen knife to the dress, clip a bow in your hair, and smile. The problem is most likely nothing that a bit of Mai Pen Rai cannot fix. 

Sawatdiikha.


0 comments: