Farang Festive Cheer

I feel like someone going to confession; forgive me for I have sinned. It has been 13 days since my last blog. I have had numerous people asking for another update, and unfortunately the sad fact is that up until now nothing of any major interest has happened. But, finally, I have something worth writing about. Christmas.

Now, being a Buddhist country, Thailand does not actually celebrate Christmas, and that can leave farangs like myself feeling a little down hearted. Its the only time of the year in my family when we make a big celebration out of anything, and its such a family time. To be so far from home, with merely the odd Christmas light and 'jingle bells' on repeat in Tesco, is not really enough to bring about any festive feelings. So, I made my own Christmas. For the past three weeks I have been listening to Irish radio, and putting Christmas songs on YouTube, and my Mom even sent over Christmas decorations for the house! I have a miniature Christmas tree on top of the fridge, and light up snowmen, along with a few wreaths with little santas in them around the kitchen. But, as everyone else headed on an 8 hour bus drive to Bangkok in search of a Christmas dinner last weekend, I decided to take advantage of the gas hob and microwave, and attempt to make a Christmas-like dinner.

Now, without access to an oven, a turkey was out of the question. I managed to get cooked chicken in the local market, and I got it all chopped up so it would be easy to reheat. I had my Mom send over 'Paxo' microwavable stuffing (which tastes exactly like real stuffing!!), I stir fried a number of different vegetables al bought at the market two hours before dinner, and I made potatoes in the microwave. I also had gravy, pepper sauce and white sauce sent over. For desert we had ice cream, and I had a glass (or two) of wine. All this food was accompanied by a Christmas table cloth, Christmas candles, and Christmas crackers. Now, it was tough enough that I was cooking in an extremely limited space, and with such limited cooking facilities, not to mention that I had never cooked a Christmas dinner before, but I decided to make it that little bit difficult by inviting 4 other people to join me! I have to say, I am incredibly proud that I fed that many people a decent Christmas dinner, and with only one mishap (my Muslim housemate's halal chicken breast got a slight bit chargrilled).

Heading back to work this morning was a killer though. Just knowing that your family is at home relaxing and enjoying that Christmas feeling, ad you are losing the head at 12 year olds that wont sit down and do their class test, is pretty horrible. I was just about at the point where I was going to throw something or go on a massive rant (to who I don't know, the kids can't understand a word I say) when I entered a class and was suddenly bombarded with the most amazing hand made Christmas cards to 'Teacher Amy'. Some had such lovely messages, from 'I hope you find a nice man' to 'I wish you are not lonely without your family'. I was nearly in tears.

So, although this Christmas is different to any other, I guess its your attitude towards it that makes it a success or a failure. When coming to Thailand, or any other country, you have to accept that things wont be the same as at home, and you will feel like you are missing out at times. But, if you make a bit of an effort, make new traditions for yourself, and keep your head up, you can find that it feels just as good as at home, because its your own, grown up, independent type of Christmas.

Happy Christmas,
Nollaig shona gach duine,

Sawatdiikha.





0 comments: