Sun, Sand, and Singing 'Auld Lang Syne'

I have never experienced a particularly good New Years Eve. I always considered it to be a hyped up holiday and an excuse to get ossified and die in work the next day. It was never really my thing, as old as that makes me sound. This year though, I decided to abandon my cynical thinking and head south of the east coast of Thailand for a bit of sun, sand, and sex on the beach (the drink kind, not the ...other .... kind). It technically was my first girls holiday, as I spent the weekend with three fantastic girls I have befriended on my adventure here in Thailand, and I have to say, it was very possibly the greatest weekend of my life.

After an overnight bus that went from taking 7 hours to taking about 10, we arrived on the beach at Koh Chang. Riding up and down the hills of this mountainous island in the back of the taxi/pick up truck, nothing, and I mean nothing, can prepare you for the beauty that awaits. This island can only be described in one word; Paradise. White sand beaches, clear blue oceans teaming with exotic fish, friendly waiters that totter out of little beach huts and serve you your drinks and food (both of which are the best I have had in Thailand so far) as you sit on your sun chair. We all agreed about 10 minutes after arriving that we never want to leave.

We spent most of Saturday and Sunday roaming through the little village we were staying in, checking out the souvenirs and lying on the beach eating our weight and wages in western food (only available at home if I want to travel an hour and a half on a bus). On  Monday though, it being New Years Eve, the four of us wanted to do something a bit special, so we went elephant trekking. Yes, it is as cool as it sounds. It included a one hour trek into the middle of nowhere on the backs of these incredible elephants with a smily 19 year old guide who, although he couldn't speak much English, managed with the help of my limited Thai to explain everything to us along the way. Then we arrived at this clear pool of water where we proceeded to strip off to the bikini and dip into the water to swim with the elephants and give them a bit of a scrub, which they seem to love. When you had finished this (basically when the elephant got fed up, I mean who is going to argue with an elephant) you hopped back on the elephant and trekked back through the forest, taking in the breathtaking scenery and silence, along with the most beautiful butterflies I have ever seen. It was one of the greatest things I have ever done, and only comes second in Thailand against seeing the cave paintings.

After coming down from our elephant sized high, we dalled up and headed out to Lonely Beach (party central on the island) to ring the New Year in with a few fellow teachers, fireworks and sand. Coming home the next day was quite difficult I must say, but we were all comforted by the thought that we will do it all over again when we go travelling down south in about 3 months. On the bus on the way home though, I did think of one thing that Koh Chang took from me that I will never get back. I can never again say 'New Years Eve is always a drag'. Funny enough though, I think thats something I can live without.







0 comments: