The Beginning of Another Chapter

Sometimes in life there comes a point where you have to decide between two things you really want. You know you cannot have both, no matter how much you want both, and each have pros and cons that equal each other, but you know you have to chose one. I have been feeling like that about travelling for the last few weeks. I really love travelling and seeing places, but I have been away from home for 8 months, and I suddenly started to feel every day in those 8 months. I was missing home, and no matter how much you try to ignore that feeling, it never really leaves you alone.

It was 11.13am, and I was standing on a corner of another noisy traffic filled street in Ho Chi Minh last Thursday. I had been looking for the War Remnants Museum for about 2 hours, and every map said a different place, and every local (well the ones that would help) pointed me in a wrong direction and laughed as I set off. My head hurt from all the pointless beeping of traffic, I nearly lost my life crossing the road at least three times, and I couldnt get a decent bit of Vietnamese food if my life depended on it. Suddenly, standing there, I was done. I had hit the point of no return, and the result was in fact return. I went back to my hostel, got in touch with my travel agency in Dublin, and changed my flight home from the 6th of June to ..... well ... today. I am writing this from a completely overpriced restaurant in Suvarnabhumi Airport in Bangkok. I arrived here on a flight from Ho Chi Minh yesterday.

Now those of you who read this blog pretty regularly are probably thinking 'why go home. Travelling is amazing'. You are right. Travelling is amazing. But family and home is also amazing, and sometimes you want that more than to see a temple or sit on a beach or visit a museum. Sometimes you have feel you have been away so long that all you want is to give your sister a hug. So, I am doing what I want more, and I am going home.

My time in SE Asia, particularly Thailand, has been without a doubt the greatest time of my life. I have learnt so much about myself, and about other cultures and ways of living.I have the most amazing memories, and I have seen the most incredible things. I will return to Asia. I know that without a doubt, as there is sooooo much more I want to do that my budget and my homesickness just couldn't handle this time around.

I intend to continue writing on this blog, as I have many more TEFL experiences and travelling planned, and I hope you will continue to enjoy reading this blog as much as I enjoy writing it.,

This is not the end. Its only the beginning of another chapter.

Go raibh míle maith agat.

Slán.

0 comments: