Ticking Tigers off the Bucket List

When I arrived in Thailand 6.5 months ago, I had no idea what was awaiting me. I never could have imagined the amazing places I would see, or the food I would eat (some dishes I would happily forget) or the things I would do. When I arrived in Bangkok all scared and thinking I had lost my mind coming here, the teaching agency I was with asked me to write down three things that I wanted to do in Thailand. Other than eat and teach, I only had one other major one, and that was see tigers. Since I was a child toddling around Dublin zoo holding onto the buggy, I was in love with the tigers. To me they are so beautiful and elegant, and jut their sheer size amazed me. So when I arrived in Chiang Mai, I couldnt pass up the opportunity to go to the Tiger Kingdom.

Personally I am quite fussy about animals and places like this, and I have to say in Thailand there are very little laws regarding animal treatment and prevention of cruelty. I saw a lot of disturbing situations at the elephant festival in Surin last November, and I was cautious going to the tiger kingdom despite all the great reviews I had heard. I need not have feared. The enclosures were quite large and equipped with pools for the tigers, and the keepers were really gentle and allowed the tigers to basically do as they pleased. There was none of this training them to stay in certain positions for photos or stopping them from moving around. I was worried about the tigers being drugged to keep them tame, but it was clear from the caution of the keepers and the constant movement of the tigers that they were not drugged at all, and therefore a very dangerous animal if not approached with caution. There were signs everywhere urging people to report any action by the keepers that they consider to be even like animal cruelty (another thing I have never seen in Thailand).

So I chose to meet and greet the smallest baby tigers (2-3 months), the medium ones (5 months) and the large ones (too big to care about their age. Just tried to not shake with fear). The little ones were soooooo cute. They were curious about everything and wandered around looking at everything and taking the odd swipe at each other. I also got to feed them a bottle of hot milk as I happened to arrive at their feeding time, and upon putting the bottle in the cub's mouth, he dropped to the floor on his back and wrapped his paws around my hand and the bottle like a baby.


Next was the medium ones who were the most active. Getting a picture with them was quite difficult as they were intent on swimming together and squabbling over a piece of log that one had claimed and another wanted. It was great to see them acting so natural though. They pawed at each other and crept up at each other like they would in the wild. 


Finally, I went into the enclosure with the big daddys. These are fully grown male tigers, and I have to say they are a little nerve wrecking. They seemed quite tired when I went in, but they just randomly got up and moved around, and seeing them do this only reminded me how massive they are and how small I am. These really are capable of ripping me apart into little pieces, and knowing that made me a little nervous. But, despite that, I got to touch them and give them a scratch, and feel how strong they are. It really was incredible.


Overall, it was the most incredible way to end my time in Thailand, and knowing that I am leaving this beautiful country with all my hopes ticked off on my list only reminds me of how fantastic my time here has been. I have learnt so much about myself and so much about alternative ways of living and I really think that I am coming out of my 6 months here a more well rounded, calm and wise person. Thailand has taught me to not take life so seriously, and to always apply a bit of Mai Pen Rai to everything life throws at you. In short, I have learnt how to be as chilled as these tigers.

Next stop, Siem Reap Cambodia.

Sawatdiikha.




0 comments: