Back to life, finally

After being stuck in the house from last Tuesday to Friday, it was so good to get out of the house. I had work over the weekend now, but lets face it, an hour and a half drive (which usually takes a half hour by the way, minus the ice and snow) is not the nicest thing to face, so forgive me if I wasnt jumping off the seat to head to work. Dont get me wrong, i like doing my job, but shuffelin hangers for 4 hours and sucking up to incredibly rich and stuck up people is not my idea of an ideal weekend.

Anyway, back to college i went today. The roads werent great, but drivable. The lil micra put up quite a fight getting up, and when a little ford (07 by the way) got stuck in the college car park, my lil micra (which is a 97) zipped past. Pretty happy about that I must say.

Had four lectures today. I must say, I find my Early Modern History module to be extremely interesting, even though I am terrified of the exam next month, lots of information to deal with. But anyway today we were hearing about Malthus and his take on the Natural Laws. Without going into too much detail (simply cause i dont remember it, but shhhh) Malthus said that nature rearranges the world and its population when it becomes out of balance. For example, Malthus says that if a population is poor and they cannot feed themselves, one should not take pity on them and try to save them from their predicament, as not only does he believed that they got themselves in that position through a lack of logic, but he believed that nature itself would sort out the problem through means of natural disasters. He said that it was the world's way of evening out the balance of population and food supply. He believed that God, instead of playing a big part in the goings on of the world, simply set the pendulum of nature in motion, leaving it to govern itself.

Now that sort of thing would evidently cause a major amount of controversy in these times, yet you may be surprised to hear that this wouldnt have been too much of a big deal in the 15th century, You see the Catholic Church, in order to gain more taxes from people, asked people not to give to the poor, but instead to give to the Church, which they said would distribute evenly (take a wild guess how well that went). There was also a lot of propaganda which portrayed the poor as lazy and greedy. So therefore giving to the poor and being sympathetic towards them was something that was not common.

Thinking of the people sitting in the cold in Dublin City on cold nights such as these, with no home to go to or people to care about them, its kinda hard to understand isnt it?

(By the way, sorry if I have any of this wrong, simply trying to remember what I was told. If I am wrong just leave a comment and explain)

0 comments: