Feminist.... I dont think so

Yes I know its been a while, I do sincerely apologise. I should have some fantastic explanation such as I am writing a deep and perfect thesis, or I have been working 14 hour days, but I'm afraid that is simply not true. Im just plain lazy.

Well I must admit I have been busy with college. I am pleased to announce that I have well passed all my exams, so YAY!! Went out on a nice celebration night out on Wednesday. The college was smack in the middle of SHAG week (Sexual Healh Awareness and Guidence), and on Wednesday the Bio Soc held an extremely successful quiz in the student union bar. The success of this quiz was not down to good publicity or the promise of fantastic prizes, it was simply down to its subject ; sex. Must admit though, it was very scientific, so I have to say as an english student I was quite lost. But the image of the unsuspecting and extremely awkward biology professor who was unwittingly dragged into a tuix to present the whole shabang was definately the highlight of the evening.

Well, onto my above topic..... As regards my college course at the moment, I must say I found it hard to decide which one thing to talk to you about, as there are numerous interesting topics that I am studying at the moment. But yesterday I finsihed studying 'The Second Sex' by Simone De Beauvoir, so I decided to chat to you about that. It is esentially an anti-male, anti-patriarchial society, and extreme feminist piece of writing, yet interestingly I couldnt put it down. She talks constantly and repeatedly about how women are trained from birth to heed to oppression and societal attitudes and expectations of women. Basically, from start to end, she makes numerous arguements about men and how they oppress women in society in various ways, and how men live a life thats soooo much easier based on arguements that range from they have more societal freedom to earn a living for themselves and realise their ambition, to they can play with their ...... Ye you know what Im getting at ha. At the start of the set of lectures the lecturer asked the women to stand up if they considered themselves feminists, and I think he hoped that at the end of the lectures he would have more women saying that they were feminists. I highly doubt that was the case, for even though the book was only written in the 40's, it appears to me to be a show of one woman's complete obsession with her hatred of men and she decides to write down every possible reason that one could have for hating men. (even though ironically enough she had relations with men, mustn't have hated them that much lol) A lil overboard if you ask me, but interesting read if even just for the curiousity of her paranoia. Check it out if you want a thought provoking read.

0 comments: