Paddy's Day Traditions

Hey all!!

So, its that time of year again, where we Irish wear our green with pride, and gather on the streets of our hometown as we watch the magnificant display of the local talent, content in the knowledge that our country is one to be proud of, and the day is one of celebration of our emerald isle.....

Ok so maybe the green resembles the colour of the faces of all the alcoholics taking advantage of the pub's drink promos, and we actually freeze on the streets as it is Ireland and March, and maybe the local talent consists of an overweight Elvis impressionist and the local first class and their tin whistles, but its still a tradition, so why not enjoy it a lil?

I have to say I have fond memories of Paddy's day. As a kid the day consisted of travelling with my mom and sis into town, parking in Trinity College where my dad works, and watching the students (who always seemed so mysterious and intelligent.... HA) as they walked through the college. We then all made our way onto the streets of the city, which were filled with people dressed in green plastic banners and face-paint. There were so many talented musicians lining the streets, all battling for your pound coin, and they all sang songs that I only ever head at country weddings. When we finally made out way to the main street, we were stood beside the railing, told to hang on and not let go, and before the numerous marching bands passed and art students showed their talents, we munched on sandwiches produced from my mother's Mary Poppins bag.

Funny enough, every year we froze, every year we got squished against barriers and didnt see the entire parade, and evey year the huge dragon float scared the crap out of me, despite the knowledge that it was made of plastic and pushed by hard working art students. Yet despite all this, every year we went, and every year I loved the music and the atmosphere, and it was such a massive part of my famiy tradition.

Lately though, the streets also play host to numerous drunken louts who had nothing better to do or spend their money on, and the Gardai play a much bigger role is keeping the day innocent for the children. Its such a pity really. I would love to have one more year of strolling around the gates of St Stephen's green with my dad looking at all the excited children and adults getting ready with their floats, and having my face painted on Grafton Street, and watching the young lads singing 'The Fields of Athenry' standing beside their hat on the gound. Now my Paddy's day is spent in work, but ah well, thats life. I must say, I really look forward to doing it all with my children, making new Paddy's Day traditions.

0 comments: