Discovering Hidden Treasure

Today was another day of island hopping. I have to say, even though its technically another sea here compared to the Gulf of Thailand where I went island hopping from Koh Samet a few weeks ago, I was hoping it wasnt a case of 'seen one island, seen them all'. Being in Ao Nang town where the most stunning view is the McDonalds sign and the nicest smell is from Starbucks, its difficult to remember that out there lies an array of stunning natural beauties, and I am not talking about the Lady Boys of Bangkok. So I set off today in search of Thailand amidst all the western french fries and pizza, and despite my island-related concern, I found it :-)

We started the day off popping to a nearby beach to pick up a few people in our typical Thai mode of transport; a longtail boat. These things are not made for style or comfort, but can do a good speed when there is an impatient driver behind the ..... stick that turns the propeller thing ....Anyway, first stop was a little strand of beach which had the most amazing clear waters and views of the rock formations which are common along the coast here. Basically they are left overs of erosion to the mainland, and they dot the coast line, some with stunning beaches and most with amazing caves only revealed at low tide. This little strip of beach was a postcard no matter what way you turned. I am very happy I took lots of pics as it is impossible to visually take in all the colours of the sea and the amazing views. (here is a pic for The Mother. She was giving out about my lack of presence in pictures)


After wowing at the views we headed off to do some snorkelling along a coral rock island, and then we made our way to our second island. This place was tiny! Literally the beach was no bigger then two sitting rooms. I wish I had the sense to get a pic of it from the boat, but there was talk of lunch and I got very distracted. We ate lunch sitting on the sand, and we watched what seemed like MILLIONS of Malaysian and Chinese tourists get on and off the boats docking at the beach, and take what seemed to be MILLIONS of pictures. My travelling buddy Sophie, in her typical cheesy love mode, wrote a declaration of love to her boyfriend at home in England, and within two seconds of leaving it, a group of Chinese tourists hijacked it and spent at least 15 minutes taking pictures with it in various positions and with various cameras. As stereotypical as this sounds, every Asian person I have encountered has a love for all things cheese. Unfortunately not real cheese. More the 'love heart shaped sparkly cutsie lets pose with a massive smile and a peace sign and use photoshop later to make it pink and amazing and full of butterflies'cheese. Most amusing.


From here, we headed off to our final destination of the day. This was a beach back on the mainland, but one with a little difference. It has the most amazing water caves I have ever seen. They are so accessible at low tide that we all strolled in under the eroded rock and marvelled at the massive entrances and stalagtites hanging from the cliff face. The masses of tropical fish around our ankles also gave it a nice tropical 'oh ye I am in Thailand, not Wooky Hole' feel. I couldnt get many pictures of the amazing caves as many of them involved wading in water to our knees and my heart just wont let me bring my beloved camera into those dangerous and potentially life threatening conditions



Another great day in South Thailand. Tomorrow morning (at the ungodly hour of 6am) we make our way to our final island stop; Ko Tao on the Gulf of Thailand. The plan here; sit for three days, enjoy my last chance to get a tan and take as many dips in the sea as possible before my skin does that horrible shrively thing.

Sawatdiikha.

0 comments: