Koh Samet; Sun, Sand and Staying Positive

The first blog of the travels! Turns out its harder to find time and wifi to write while on holidays. In typical Thai fashion the advertised wifi in my hotel doesnt actually work. Nothing new there. Thai wifi is very unreliable.


So, how has the first two days of my travels been? I can sum it up in one word; strange. I am trying to be open minded, and give myself time to adjust to it all, but its proving slightly difficult. There are good and bad things about travelling alone.

Bad; I dont have anyone to put suncream on my back. There is nobody to watch my bag when I go swimming in the sea. I feel guilty having a drink as not only do I feel like I have to be more careful as I am alone, but I also hear my mother saying 'alcoholics drink alone' everytime I spy a bottle of Thai beer. Finally, I think I may miss conversation. Its nice to have someone to worry with, and to give out about dragging suitcases with, and to talk with over dinner. Now I am well aware that as I am on an island which isnt so popular with backpackers there is a lower chance of meeting people, and I have a higher chance when staying in hostels and bigger cities .... I am giving myself time to adjust and trying to think about it all rationally.

Good; you can go where you want, do what you want, eat what you want, do the tours you want, spend the money you want, and sometimes its nice to take time to sit and think of nothing rather than accommodating other people.. I am finding that I am a good bit more relaxed in the sense that I sit and read my book and dont think about things as much. Also, my mother passed on her people watching talent, and I am having tons of fun watching the world's inhabitants. Stalkerish I know, but we all do it, dont deny it!

So I have spent the last two days eating some really nice food, mostly Thai funny enough, drinking coffee, ploughing through the Game of Thrones books, and lounging on the white sand beach getting sun burnt despite the fact that I have been in the shade for the whole two days and applying factor 50. Bloody Irish skin! In the evenings I sit on the beach with a drink while the sun goes down and I indulge in some western food, soaking up the atmosphere and enjoying the English bands coming from the bars on the beachfront.

Overall I feel I must stay positive and calm. Ok, maybe being on a beach holiday isnt the perfect thing for me, but now I know. I leave for Trang on Saturday and I meet with a friend there before travelling the rest of Thailand together. I feel I would be better suited to an active city holiday on my own rather than a beach. I am heading off on an island hop tomorrow for the day, which is more my thing. I only have a certain amount of patience for a deck chair.

Its all a learning curve, right ....

Sawadiikha

0 comments: