Island hopping, but finding my feet.

I am not a good person when I am bored. I become pathetic and moany and thoughtful and I hate the world. Yesterday was one of those days. On the blog at least I was trying to keep a bright outlook. I was saying it was only a small thing that I wasnt enjoying myself as much as I thought I would, but inside I was having a freak attack thinking I couldnt do this travelling alone thing. I honestly didnt know what I was going to do, and last night I did not get a lot of sleep with the thought of 'oh holy hell what have I gotten myself into.

This morning I tried to be bright as I head down to the beach to my day tour of island hopping, hoping things would brighten up for me. Did it??? .... Oh ye!

It was exactly what I needed. After picking everyone up, the 13 people, including myself, set out on the speedboat. We stopped pretty quickly for some snorkelling, which I have to admit didnt show much, but then we headed onto our first island. It was breathtaking. The beach was pure white sand with overhanging trees for shelter and the odd swing. The beach curved around the island to reveal amazing sheer rock formations and cliffs. The water was so crystal you could see all the tropical fish swimming around your feet. I befriended an English man and his thai girlfriend, and we fed the fish out in the shallow waters, and we were literally surrounded by thousands and thousands of tint colourful fish, and some the size of small white sharks. I did have a scary 'Beach' movie panic attack when the word 'shark' was mentioned, but it was not as dramatic in reality as Leo experienced.

We moved onto another beach for some food and a bit of sunbathing, and then we headed out on the boat again for another bit of snorkelling. This bit blew the last attempt at snorkelling out of the water. We were located just off a rocky island which seemed impossible to dock at, and the variety of fish was incredible. I was in my element. It was made even better when I realised that my factor 70 suncream which  put on before getting in to tackle the lobster look I am sporting at the minute really is amazingly water resistant. Amy -1, Irish skin - 0.

We finished our 6 hour trip with a visit to a small island which gave views of both the mainland, the little uninhabitable rock islands, and Koh Samet where I am staying. The two tour guides with us snorkelled and fished for some sort of shell fish near the rocks while I took a dip and sat on the beach enjoying the views.

I topped the day off by spoiling myself with a bacon cheese burger, chips, and a beer, all served to me by an English man. The idea of ordering food in fluent English and not Thaiglish made me giddy. I have been away from the real world for way too long.

So, my faith in my ability to travel alone has been restored. Only the hurdle of my first flight to catch tomorrow as I head down south to meet a friend for a bit of travelling in Thailand before she heads home.

Sawatdiikha.




0 comments: