A bitta Irish pride



Oh, finally, the exams are done!!! Now I cannot say whether they went well, or even if I have any chances
of passing them, I dont like jinxing these things. But who cares, they are done and dusted, and I never have to face them again!!

What a week it has been. First the exams, then the Queen, but there is no doube that yesterday's visit by Barak Obama to Ireland really was the icing on the cake. I had the intention of studying pretty much all day. I even got up relatively early in order to get organised and set up an intense day of cramming. But of course, 12pm came, and I made the disasterous mistake of switching on the TV to watch something for a half hour or so, and I stumbled across the live coverage of the US President's visit. 6 hours later, the only improvements that were made to the dismal academic situation was the title of the novel on the top of my study page and the knowledge regarding the lineage from Falmouth Kearney in 1850 to Barak Obama in 2011. But it was a slice of history really, and as a history student I am obliged to do an indepth study of such a remarkable event in my country's history ..... Well thats my story and I'm sticking to it!

It was a really lovely visit though. The people of Moneygall looked like all their birthdays, christmas's, easters, paddy's days and pancake Tuesday's had come at once, and Obama and the Missus really looked like they enjoyed the entire trip. The party atmosphere and reinvigorated sense of Irish pride could be felt through the tv screen, and I must admit I have never seen College Green look so impressive. Of course, Obama's speech was magnificently phrased, but I do think the credit for both speech and general perseverence over the past week goes to probably the most stressed man in Ireland Taoiseach Enda Kenny. I was never a big fan of the man, but I have to say, for an aul bogger from the Wesht he didn't do half bad.

Overall, a very successful week for the Irish people, exactly the tonic needed to remind us all of the relentless Irish spirit. Tá mé an-bhródúil as a bheith as Éirinn.

0 comments: