Harold Camping's Apocalypitic Failure

I have a pretty bad obsession of needing to know the news of the world during the day, and so I find myself typing Sky News into the address bar everytime I turn on the computer. But when I came home today and scrolled though the highlights, one particular story caught my eye.

As I am sure most of you all have heard, according to an American Evangelical  leader Harold Camping, the world and everyone in it would be oblitterated at exactly 6pm on Saturday 21st of May 2011...... Well considering it is now 6.45pm I bet he feels pretty stupid right now.

But it got me thinking, if the world was to end and you were given one hours notice, what would you do?

Personally, I would pick the obvious first ; Be with family, ring people that you havent talked to in years due to petty fights just to say that you regret the years of not talking, and try not to spend the time shaking with fear. I think most people would generally try to clear the oul conscience, as I think that even of one says that one doesnt have any belief in a higher power, there is alwways that niggling thought that maybe there is such a thing as a God, and you certainly dont want to run the risk of being on the smiting end of his stick come the end of time.

But then I starting thinking about little things. Like what would I do for that hour sitting at home. I certainly wouldnt spend the whole time wasting my call credit, plus I'm sure the phone lines would be clogged anyway (great minds think alike). So then I moved onto alternatives. After not a lot of though, I came up with my ideal pre-obliteration situation. It basically includes me, my family, an infinite amount of my special recipe bagels, and the home video's of Christmas. The reliving of the effort that my parents put in every year, and seeing the innocent excitement on the faces of myself and my sister when the door was opened to reveal what Santa and his carrot eating reindeer had brought, never fails to brings back that feeling of a time when tomorrow was never worried about.


I think when faced with your end, with unavoidable death, fear is the instinctual reaction. But why fear that which cannot be avoided? Why waste time crying in fear, when it can be spent laughing, and remembering all the great events that led you to that unavoidable situation, and thinking well wasnt that just perfect.

0 comments: