Bangkok Day Three; Chopsticks and Taxis

Whoever thought that using two thin sticks to pick up thin noodles must have wanted to kill a lot of time over dinner. But, when in Thailand, one must do as the Thai's do, especially when the mention of a fork brings a confused look on the waiters face. This was the predicament facing me when ordering my first bowl of noodle soup last night. Myself and Patricia had ventured out beyond our mad tourist-filled road, and had found a little Thai ... you couldnt really call it a restaurant .... place with food would be more appropriate. After tackling the noodles, finding a little bar with a very good guitarist, a few Chang Thai beers and a good chat, we both found ourselves doing the best thing we have done since we came to Thailand. Thai massages. These are INCREDIBLE. Our mini ones involved a half an hour of lying on the most comfortable deck chair I have ever encountered, and a lovely little Thai lady massaging our feet and legs with lavender oil. So relaxing! Will definitely be going for more. Thats the key to the carefree attitude of the Thai's, getting your feet rubbed. Valium can kiss my newly cultured ass. 


This morning was the time for packing up all the t-shirts and baggy light trousers that I have accumulated in the markets and move to the other side of town to begin my orientation with TEFL International. I spent so much time worrying about remembering everybody's names and remembering all that I learnt in my course last year, that I gave little thought to how I was going to actually get there. It involved a tuk tuk that took us down the road (my first tuk tuk ride! those things can do some speed) and then that followed a taxi ride that took over an hour as the taxi driver didnt have a clue where we were going. This lack of local knowledge, coupled with at least 5 near death experiences with a motorcycles, and a number of stressful calls to the hotel to try and find the place, led to one very stressed Amy. 

But, despite it all, I have arrived! After the months of excitement and preparation, and the thousands of euro, I have reached my destination. I will sign my contract in 3 days and from that point onwards I can call myself an employed teacher! Between now and then should be an adventure, another to add to the dozens I have already experienced since coming here. 

0 comments: