First Day At School, Minus a Packed Lunch

Starting a new job is stressful! On days like this one needs calm and cool. One needs to be focused and fresh. One does not need a snake in one's shower. But of course, this is Thailand, and a snake in my shower was exactly what I got this morning. We were thankfully saved by a worker in the school who killed it with a brush, and then informed us that it was in fact poisonous (lovely thought to start the day with). The strangeness didnt stop there though.

I never thought of how strange I was going to look to the students in the school. These children have grown up here in rural Thailand, where they have maybe 3 or 4 tv channels which show all Thai tv, all their advertising is with Thai people, and the closest they have gotten to the outside world in this town is Tesco. Everything else is authentic Thai unless you go into the big towns. Considering all of this, it is not strange that they would find me so fascinating, especially my skin. Here in Thailand, being white is a fashion statement, the same that in Ireland we put tan into our moisturiser (the grass is always greener I suppose, except this time its white). I have been named by the teachers in the school as Omo, which translates to very white,or as they say, Snow White. I have to say, I was always a fan of that movie.

So today, after being told that I was not teaching for the day, suddenly had 4 classes. Scared stiff wasn't the word. I have 22 different classes a week, 1st year and 5th year classes, and ranging in ability from really good, to barely able to say their name at the age of 16. The classes are about 25 - 35 in size, which feels ok with the younger group as they are fresh and new and not as confident, but the older crowd are a little intimidating. Although I think they were impressed when they realised I knew what Gangam Style was (they are obsessed with it here!), so major brownie points there.

On a separate note, myself and Saadia were brought to an aerobics class the other night by some of the teachers in the school. I have never done aerobics, but I know that in Irish weather I was reluctant to partake. Aerobics in 25 degree heat while being eaten alive by bugs is .... an experience .... I would repeat it with the help of better clothing and bug repellent, but we have located Yoga classes in the local hospital, so we are well set on them! When in Thailand do as the Thai's do I suppose. Well we have done turkish toilets, indescribable meats, and snakes, may as well do something the Thai's do well.

Sawadiikha

0 comments: